Responsible Jewellery Council Certification
For Gold, Silver, PGMs, Diamonds, and Gemstone Supply Chains
What is Responsible Jewellery Council Certification?
Responsible Jewellery Council (RJC) Certification promotes trust in the global fine jewelry industry by assuring companies are adhering to responsible business practices. RJC Certification requires independent third-party auditing by RJC accredited auditors to verify that a Member’s management systems and performance conform to the RJC Code of Practices. The certification is applicable for gold, silver, platinum group metals (PGMs), diamonds, and gemstone supply chains.
RJC Code of Practices (COP): RJC’s mandatory certification for all commercial RJC Members. Members are required to meet the COP within two years of joining RJC. The COP is a multi-attribute standard that evaluates supply chain, business ethics, labor and human rights, health and safety, environmental performance, and management systems.
RJC Chain-of-Custody (CoC): As a Member benefit, RJC’s voluntary Chain-of-Custody certification may be used to support additional responsible sourcing efforts as desired. Meeting the COP standard requirements is a prerequisite for CoC certification.
SCS is an approved service provider to conduct RJC Code of Practices and Chain-of-Custody verification assessments in numerous countries. To see SCS's complete auditor coverage, click here.
Why Choose SCS?
With globally located auditors to conduct your RJC COP or CoC audit smoothly and efficiently, SCS is a leader in responsible jewellry, minerals and precious metals sustainability certifications with more than 25 years of experience providing detailed, accurate and ethical audits. With quick responses and personalized customer service, we keep your projects moving forward and on budget.
In addition to RJC certifications, SCS also provides our own Certified Sustainability Rated Diamonds audits, Responsible Minerals Assurance Process (RMAP) audits, London Bullion Market Association (LBMA) and London Platinum and Palladium Market (LBMA & LPPM) audits, Signet Responsible Sourcing Protocol (SRSP) audits and our own SCS Certified Responsible Source-Jewelry audits.
- Program Details
- Program Documents
Do we have to be an RJC Member in order to be certified to the RJC standard?
In order to be certified to the RJC standard(s) a company must first apply for membership with the RJC.
How long does the audit take to complete?
Audit length depends on the size and complexity of the Member’s operations. This is defined in the Member’s self-assessment that is requested by SCS during the initial scoping process.
How long does it take to become RJC certified?
This depends on initial audit results; typically the audit, report writing, and report review process takes about 1 month from the opening meeting, before it is delivered to the RJC for final approval.
What happens when your auditors find non-compliance issues during an RJC audit?
Auditors will define a non-conformance as either minor or major, depending on the severity of the non-conformance. If a critical breach is identified, the Member must address the non-conformance within 4 weeks of the audit.
What do I need to complete during the audit scoping phase?
Prior to contacting SCS, it is recommended that members complete the RJC self-assessment workbook. SCS will primarily request a completed scoping tab in order to provide a quote estimate for audit services.
- RJC certification demonstrates to investors, suppliers and customers that you adhere to rigorous standards for social, ethical, and environmental performance
- Protects your reputation by proactively responding to ethical issues
- Strengthens your internal management systems
- Supports responsible business practices in the jewelry supply chain
- RJC COP is recognized by Signet Responsible Sourcing Protocols (SRSP) as a pathway to compliance
- Become a Member of RJC
- Visit RJC’s website to apply.
- Scoping and Project Initiation:
- Client and SCS confirm scope of project.
- Client signs Work Order and returns to SCS to initiate project.
- Data Collection
- SCS provides an overview of project milestones.
- Client prepares for the audit by completing a Self-Assessment against the Code of Practices or the Chain-of-Custody Standard.
- SCS works with client to clarify Self-Assessment requirements.
- SCS requires an onsite audit of a select number of facilities to verify the client has systems in place that conform to the requirements defined in the applicable RJC Standard.
- Cost will vary according to the size of the business, the types of risks, and the areas where the business operates.
- Auditor reviews data and findings from the audit and writes a report for the client’s approval.
- Certification Decision
- Upon successful RJC Verification, SCS will submit our Statement of Conformance to the RJC, who will then determine certification status of the client.
- Certified RJC members are issued a unique RJC Certification number which is made publicly available on the RJC website.
- Certification Maintenance
- Certification period is for three years, or for a one year transitional period.
- If applicable, a Mid-Term Review (Code of Practices) or Surveillance Audit (Chain-of-Custody Standard) will be conducted during the certification period to verify that the certified Member’s system continues to work effectively.
- At the end of the certification period, a Re-Certification Audit is required to renew the Member’s certification.
All Responsible Jewellery Council (RJC) Members within the entire supply chain, from mine to retail, are eligible for assessment of conformance to the RJC Code of Practices standard. All relevant supply chain participants may also be certified under the RJC Chain-of-Custody (CoC) standard.
The RJC Code of Practices includes criteria that address the following issues:
- Responsible Supply Chains
- Business Ethics and Labor Rights
- Due diligence for responsible sourcing from conflict-affected and high-risk areas
- Human Rights and Social Performance
- Health and Safety
- Environmental Performance
- Management Systems
Ready to get started or need more info? Connect with us.